Fast approaching the halfway stage of the Seldén SailJuice Winter Series, Roger & Iain Blake have taken the lead in their Osprey doublehander...
The Seldén SailJuice Winter Series starts the new year at a pace, with the Gill Grafham Grand Prix on 2 January, where more than 100 boats are entered, followed by the return of the Bloody Mary in south-west London on 7 January.
UPDATE AFTER 4 OF 9 EVENTS
Here are the scores after the first four events of the season...
After four events, 25 boats have completed two or more events and looking to position themselves for the overall win across the nine-event series. An Osprey still tops the leaderboard, but it’s Roger & Iain Blake (Great Moor SC), who jump up five places to take the top spot overall. Previous leaders, Peter GRAY and Geoff EDWARDS (STAUNTON HAROLD SC), drop to fifth overall. Currently in 2nd is Paul YOUNG and Alex HOMER (Enterprise - MIDLAND SAILING CLUB), 3rd James and Samuel CLANCY (Merlin Rocket - DESBOROUGH SC)
Seldén sticker winners
Brass Monkey - Phantom - Carl GIBBON (Burton Sailing Club)
Burghfield Breezer - RS Aero 7 - James EBERLEIN (HYTHE & SALTWOOD SC)
Best Social Media Engagement - RS400 Stu HALMAN and Anna WALSH (LEIGH AND LOWTON SC)
Based on best three results for each class across every race. Laser (ILCA 7) hold onto top spot, with RS200s jumping 5 places to second, and defending champions Laser Radial (ILCA 6) up two places to third overall.
Based on best three results for each club across every race. No change for top three podium, but Staunton Harold SC consolidates its position in number one position, Carsington second, and Draycote third. Big gains by Yorkshire Dales, up 37 places to ninth and Burton SC up 15 places to eighth.
1) Finlay COCHRANE (Laser 4.7 (ILCA 4) - YORKSHIRE DALES)
2) Freddie SUNDERLAND (Laser Radial (ILCA 6) - DRAYCOTE WATER)
3) Jack HODGKINS/ Isabella BARNES (RS Feva XL - DRAYCOTE SAILING CLUB)
1) Maddie CHILDS (Laser Radial (ILCA 6) - KING GEORGE SAILING CLUB)
2) Arwen FFLUR & Arlo BRAUND (420 - PWLLHELI WKSC)
3) Finlay COCHRANE (Laser 4.7 (ILCA 4) - YORKSHIRE DALES)
1) Rachael GRAY (Scorpion - STAUNTON HAROLD)
2) Kath BROATCH (Fireball - PORT DINORWIC)
3) Arwen FFLUR (420 - PWLLHELI WKSC)
1) Roger BLAKE (Osprey - GREAT MOOR SC)
2) Richard SIMS (K1 - CARSINGTON)
3) Tim BIRD (505 - BURTON SC)
1) Peter GRAY & GEOFF EDWARDS (Osprey - STAUNTON HAROLD)
2) Roger BLAKE & ROB BURDEKIN (Osprey - GREAT MOOR SAILING CLUB)
3) Tim BIRD & MIKE PRIDDLE (505 - BURTON SC)
1) Richard SMITH (Musto Skiff - MEDWAY YACHT CLUB)
2) Jonathan CARTER (Vortex - RICKMANSWORTH SAILING CLUB)
3) Andy COUCH & Matt COUCH (VX One - BLITHFIELD SC)
1) James WILLIAMS & SARAH TUPPEN (RS200 - CHEW VALLEY LAKE SC)
2) Nigel & Diana PEPPERDINE (RS200 - STAUNTON HAROLD SC)
3) Jack HODGKINS & Isabella BARNES (RS Feva XL - DRAYCOTE SAILING CLUB)
1) Rachael GRAY & AMY CLAY (Scorpion - STAUNTON HAROLD)
2) Paul YOUNG & ALEX HOMER (Enterprise - MIDLAND SAILING CLUB)
3) Richard SIMS (K1 - CARSINGTON)
Bloody Mary on 7 January
Online entry for the Bloody Mary closes at midnight Wednesday 4th January.
You can watch the Online Briefing for the Bloody Mary here:
Online entry for all the events in the series is available at www.sailjuiceseries.com
The following events are in the Seldén SailJuice Winter Series 2022/23:
Fernhurst Books Draycote Dash, Draycote Water Sailing Club
20 & 21 November 2022
Datchet Flyer, Datchet Water Sailing Club
3 & 4 December 2022
Yorkshire Dales Brass Monkey, Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club
27 December 2022
Burghfield Breezer, Burghfield Sailing Club
27 December 2022
Grafham Grand Prix, Grafham Water Sailing Club
2 January 2023
Bloody Mary, Queen Mary Sailing Club
7 January 2023
King George Gallop, King George Sailing Club
21 January 2023
John Merricks Tiger Trophy, Rutland Sailing Club
4 & 5 February 2023
Oxford Blue, Oxford Sailing Club
18 February 2023
Prizegiving at RYA Dinghy Show, Farnborough
25 February 2023
You can find out more about the Series here: www.SailJuiceSeries.com
Further Information for media:
Please contact Andy Rice
Photo Credits: Tim Olin
Notes to editors:
Previous winners of the Seldén Sailjuice Winter Series
2021/22 Roger Gilbert & Ben McGrane (505)
2020/21 Simon Horsfield & Katie Burridge/ Natalie Johnson (2000)
2019/20 Simon Horsfield & Katie Burridge (2000)
2018/19 Simon Horsfield & Katie Burridge (2000)
2017/18 Alistair Goodwin (Laser)
2016/17 Matt Mee & Emma Norris (RS200)
2015/16 Ian Dobson & Andy Tunnicliffe (GP14)
2014/15 Nick Craig & various crews (Merlin Rocket)
2013/14 Michael Sims (Solo)
2012/13 Tom Gillard & Simon Potts (Fireball)
2011/12 Peter Gray & Rachael Rhodes (Scorpion)
2010/11 Andy Peake (Musto Skiff)
2009/10 Olly Turner & Richard Whitworth (Merlin Rocket)
SailJuice.com is the ‘how to sail and race faster’ website, with hundreds of articles and exclusive interviews with National, World and Olympic Champions. Professional sailing journalist and editor of SailJuice.com, Andy Rice, came up with the concept of the SailJuice Winter Series (originally known as the SailJuice Global Warm-Up) as a way of increasing participation levels in dinghy racing during the off-season in the UK.
SailRacer manages event websites and processes online entry for major National, International, Youth and training events, providing online scoring, analysis and advanced sports presentation including GPS tracking and live video.
Seldén Mast Ltd is the world leader in dinghy spars. More races are won by Seldén Spars than any other brand. Dinghy spars are made using Seldén unique XPS aluminium with CNC cut tapers, automated welding and heat treating resulting in the highest quality and most consistent dinghy spars available. Seldén also produces about 400 carbon masts per year for boats including high performance dinghies and race yachts using state of the art Mandrel Filament Moulding Technology.
Craftinsure aims to make boat insurance as effortless as possible with an easy to navigate website and app which allows you to make changes to your cover quickly and with ease. With ‘New for Old’ cover at competitive prices, Craftinsure insures over 25,000 boats with excellent customer reviews which you can read on Trustpilot.